Today I have the BEST SALAD EVER to share with you!! I am so psyched, I can hardly wait to tell you about it [even though it is not original at all. But that's okay.] But first, this recipe qualifies for not just one, but two challenges. Woohoo! First of all, I created this recipe for Mystery Dish. But since it includes a fantastic homemade ranch dressing, it also helps fulfill one of my 30 before 30 goals. Score!
This month for Mystery Dish, Chez Catey Lou is our host. Cate is so sweet and gave us such a creative list to work with! We had to use at least two ingredients from this list: raspberries, peanut butter chips, edamame, lemon, yeast, whole wheat pastry flour, bacon, buttermilk, basil, and zucchini. There were a thousand ways I thought about going [I probably say that every month...sorry] but my craving for a salad won out in the end. I used a few of Cate’s ingredients [lemon, buttermilk, and basil] to make an awesome Jalapeno Ranch Dressing to dress up a BBQ Chicken Salad.
I have long searched for a good homemade ranch dressing. I’ve made this recipe once before and let me tell you..it’s a keeper! It’s creamy, spicy, and best of all… clean! No weird mystery ingredients in the powder, thankyouverymuch. The key to this recipe is the jalapeno. It just elevates this creamy, herby dressing with a bit of spice. Oh so good!
You know what else is good? This salad! I know a zillion restaurants have variations of BBQ Chicken Salad and this was mine. I just used seven ingredients so it’s pretty basic: lettuce, chicken, BBQ sauce, corn, tomatoes, black beans, and ranch dressing. You could also add avocados, onions, bacon, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
I kept it simple though so the flavors could really shine. You will really want to make it again and again. One bite of this and Ben was swooning. Seriously! This is a man’s salad, and definitely fancy enough for a restaurant. Hope you enjoy it as much we do!
one year ago: Strawberry Muffins
two years ago: Sweet-Tart Quinoa Salad
three years ago: BAST sandwich
BBQ Chicken Salad with Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
click to print
- 2 cups cooked chicken [leftovers from a roasted chicken work great]
- 1 cup bbq sauce [I used Sweet Baby Ray's]
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups fresh corn, cut from 3 ears of corn
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Jalapeno Ranch Dressing, recipe below
Stir together chicken and bbq sauce in a skillet set over medium-low heat. Heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, toss together romaine lettuce and Jalapeno Ranch Dressing in desired amounts. Divide lettuce between four plates, then top each with a quarter of all ingredients: chicken, tomato, black beans, and corn. Toss together and enjoy!
Time: 10 minutes.
Yield: 4 meal-size salads or 8 side salads.
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing [slightly adapted from The Lively Kitchen]
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk [for this I use real buttermilk, a substitute could be kinda weird]
- 4 green onions, chopped, with white bottoms removed
- 1/2 of a chopped, deseeded jalapeno [~2 tablespoons]
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped [or 1 teaspoon dried parsley]
- 1/3 cup fresh Thai basil, chopped [or cilantro, basil, etc.]
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. An immersion blender works great!
Dressing thickens in the fridge so add some extra buttermilk before serving leftovers as desired.
Time: 5 minutes.
Yield: 2 cups.
Please check out the other awesome recipes from this month’s Mystery Dish!
1. Raspberry Lemon Sweet Roll Cake with Buttermilk Glaze – Baking a Moment
2. Twice Baked Zucchini Boat – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
3. Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Raspberry Mint Compote – Blahnik Baker
4. Lemon-Raspberry Bundt Cake – I Dig Pinterest
5. Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – The Dessert Chronicles
6. Mini Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – I Want Crazy
7. Zucchini Noodles with Meat Mushroom Tomato Sauce – Joyfully Healthy Eats
8. Baked Wonton Cups Filled with Edamame Corn Salad – The Well Floured Kitchen
9. Easy 30 Minute Orange Rolls – Yummy Healthy Easy
10. BBQ Chicken Salad with Jalapeno Basil Ranch Dressing – The Pajama Chef
11. Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes – Culinary Couture
12. Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze – The Weary Chef
13. Lemon Bundt Cake – Chez CateyLou