In search of a wonderful book to read during the upcoming holiday season? The Sound of Rain by Sarah Loudin Thomas is just what you’re looking for!
A description of the book from the publisher:
After a terrible mine accident in 1954, Judd Markley abandons his poor Appalachian town for Myrtle Beach. There he meets the beautiful and privileged Larkin Heyward, who dreams of helping people like those he left behind. Drawn together amid a hurricane, they wonder what tomorrow will bring—and realize that it may take a miracle for them to be together.
As usual, my five point review:
- From the opening pages, you will be pulling for the main characters–Judd and Larkin alike. Both characters, though remarkably different, with various goals and motivations, are passionate through and through. They are likable and you will be rooting for them to succeed. The romance element is sweet, believable, and present in the story without being the sole focus.
- The secondary characters are also incredible. Granny Jane, Ben, George… though each has their own strengths (and weaknesses!), their role in the story was instrumental to its conclusion. I wish there was space for their motivations to be shared more! Especially George’s. Maybe a space for a sequel?
- Christian fiction as a whole has changed substantially over the past few years (maybe longer?). I appreciated this book and the author for crafting a story where the characters’ faith did play a role in their life via convictions, priorities, and decisions but the telling of the story did not at all appear preachy.
- I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a side of drama and romance. Larkin is a strong female lead and her struggles epitomize the challenges women have faced throughout history, so I think her character would be a great influence for many.
- All in all, I just have to say: what a beautiful book. From the gorgeous cover to the lyrical writing to the great sense of place (1950s Myrtle Beach and Appalachian West Virginia and Kentucky), this book is unmatched. The author is also a wonderful storyteller, dedicated to the craft of writing and not just churning out the next book. I can’t wait to read more by Sarah Loudin Thomas!
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers. However, I was not required to write a positive review. The thoughts expressed above are entirely my own. Thanks to Bethany House for the chance to read this great book!