So, these muffins are the reason I have been so sad about the lack of pumpkin over the past year. However, pumpkin is BACK and I’ve got my fix. I’m a happy girl.
I’ve been making these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for at least 10 years now. I used to make them so often in high school that I had the recipe memorized. There are three keys to success with this recipe… three things I would never change. And you shouldn’t either–trust me!
- These muffins have to be made in mini muffin cups, with mini chocolate chips. I’m sure you can make them with regular chocolate chips and regular muffin tins, but they wouldn’t be the same.
- You gotta use pumpkin pie spice. If you’re against buying spice blends, then make your own up using a recipe online like this. But don’t think subbing a little cinnamon and nutmeg on their own will work, because it won’t.
- These muffins are begging to be made in huge quantities. A 15 ounce can of pumpkin will make twice this recipe… and you will still want more, even though you’ll have pumpkin chocolate chip muffins coming out of your ears.
I know that all sounds a little harsh… but it’s the hard truth, folks. These muffins are that good. Rules sometimes just have to be followed. [As if I have the authority to tell you what to do! HA!]
That being said, these muffins will rock your world. They are the right degree of sweetness and spice and everything nice. Pumpkin too. And chocolate. Don’t forget about the chocolate. No one component of these muffins is overwhelming, but they all mingle together to make a happy family! They are moist, tender, and have a soft crumb texture that is unbeatable. They also freeze well. These muffins are addicting and are great for breakfast, a snack, dessert, or anytime! The flavor gets better when they sit for a day or so, which makes them great to make ahead for a brunch or get together.
You’ll love ’em so much that you’ll even forget the sting of my rules! 🙂 You all know I was just kiddin’ right? 😉 Admittedly, this picture doesn’t do these muffins justice so you’ll just have to take my word on it. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
[from a cookbook of my mom’s… I only have a photocopy so I don’t know the exact source, sorry!]
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare mini muffin pans by greasing with cooking spray or lining with mini muffin cups [yield: 48!]. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder. In the bowl of stand mixer, combine pumpkin, eggs, and melted butter. Fold in chocolate chips, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients until they are moistened. Scoop batter in muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they spring in the center with a light touch. Cool on a baking rack before storing.
What’s your favorite kind of muffin?
31 thoughts on “My Favorite Muffins”