I didn’t get to writing this post for the month of July… and now August is over. CRAZY!
What’s Been Happening
I started off July with a week long staycation. Ben and I enjoyed a lot of good food in Nashville, including breakfast at the Loveless Cafe [which is less than 10 minutes from our house btw] and getting these free reusable travel cups from Dunkin’ Donuts. These cups come with 99 cent refills through the end of August… so we’ve been going a lil Dunkin’ crazy. Ha! We also picked blueberries and blackberries. So good!https://instagram.com/p/4hL83RMCL2/?taken-by=thepajamachef
Ben started his second year teaching. I helped him decorate his classroom… bulletin boards aren’t my strength. 🙂https://instagram.com/p/5kX1h6sCB6/?taken-by=thepajamachef
August brought tons of traveling and visitors. Here’s how it happened! The first weekend of the month brought my parents to town on their way to vacation. The follow weekend, I went to a one-day library conference at Indiana University Kokomo and saw a bunch of friends from grad school and my hometown, as well as my cute nephew. Then, my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew stayed with us on their way home from vacation. FINALLY, I headed back to Indiana for my grandpa’s 94th birthday party! This past weekend was spent at home, no traveling or visitors.https://instagram.com/p/60sk1HsCNt/?taken-by=thepajamachef
School’s starting up at my university so things have been crazy there but I’m excited to see the students again! Fall is coming soon…and I can’t wait!
What I’m Reading
As of the time I wrote this post, I finished 21 books in July and August, with a few more on tap. You can check out my reviews of the books above on Goodreads. On the blog, I reviewed The Wiregrass; it’s a great read if you’re looking for a good book! I also finally read [listened to] Anne of Green Gables! I started that book as a kid but never finished it… it’s so fun to listen to and I want to read the whole series now! 🙂
I’ve also made a point to save some of the great articles I read online to share here… so in no real order you should check out these articles:
- When America’s libraries went to war – an interesting piece of library/WWI history
- Domestic workers in South Africa – I don’t talk about this much on the blog, but I was an Africana Studies major in college and earned a master’s in grad school in the same area, studying abroad in Cameroon and Lesotho (a tiny country landlocked inside South Africa). Much of my academic career has examined southern Africa, and as such, racial issues. So much progress has been made but articles like this make me so, so sad.
- Mixed up twins in Colombia – did you read this?! Soooo crazy.
- Changes with American Girl dolls – mostly old news, but I had Kirsten and agree with the sentiments in both of these articles SO much. I’m sad that current American Girl dolls worry about homework instead of survival on the Minnesota countryside in the 1800s
- Have you ever seen the blankets made in Lesotho? They are gorgeous AND practical. Here is an interesting piece about cultural appropriation and the distribution of culture.
- Books to read when it’s hard to read the Bible – great suggestions!
- How we became too busy for friends – a hard but good read
- On reading books on your phone and the future of reading
- A bit of a political piece… but a fantastic perspective on what you should do if you’re outraged at Planned Parenthood. Spoiler alert: foster kids.
What I’ve Been Cooking
Lots of peanut noodles with this sauce. Kale salad with sauteed potatoes and fried eggs. Sounds weird, but it’s so good. I made it a mish mash of these two recipes. I’m sure I’ve made other things, but I can’t really recall now… ha!
What’s on the Blog
My most popular July recipe was Turkey Sloppy Joes. Mmm!
In August, everyone loved the Zucchini Apple Walnut Muffins. Me too!
What were you into in July and August?
Linking up with Leigh Kramer to share what I’ve been into lately.