Boy, am I loving the crock pot lately. School has been busy lately, and I’m trying to clean out the freezer, which means that big hunk ‘o pork shoulder needed to be eaten. Pronto. Since I don’t like to leave the crock pot on during the day when we were gone, I made this up on a Sunday after we got home from church. It cooked away all afternoon until dinnertime, and then we had a delicious, no-work dinner waiting for us at our leisure. I didn’t use to like the crock pot because it felt like cheater cooking, but for some things, like hunks ‘o meat, it’s just way easier than slaving over a hot oven.🙂
This pork literally fell apart on it’s own; it was so tender. The flavors were sweet and a little spicy because of the cumin and the sweet chili sauce, with a hint of blueberry in each bite. A little bit of summer, a little bit of fall. A lot of flavor. And it’s really easy too.
Oh hey… I got a new hair cut, p.s. That’s all.
Sweet and Spicy Blueberry Pork
- 1 cup blueberries [I used frozen blueberries from the freezer that we picked earlier in the summer.]
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce [I got mine from Trader Joe’s and it contains red chili, sugar, water, garlic, and salt if you need ingredients as a reference.]
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 pound pork shoulder roast
Place pork shoulder in a crock pot, then add all ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8. Shred pork shoulder with two forks, then serve over brown rice or in a tortilla.
Are you a crock pot fan? Why or why not?